While driving through Preston Hollow, amid the constant new construction, I see more and more homeowners that are remodeling and have had clients call to ask me for a name of a contractor.
Here are six tips for hiring a contractor for your project:
1. Get more than one bid - Be sure the Contractor is licensed, and beware of a "low bid".
2. Get everything in writing - verbal agreements may be forgotten or denied.
3. Make the contract SPECIFIC. Include the clean up after the project and special requests, like saving fixtures or lumber.
4. Keep a Copy of the Contract.
5. Put Change Orders in writing. As you add or change your mind about details, don't just talk about them.
6. Confirm financial terms - determine the down payment and when draws will be made. Be sure the contractor understands the terms.
Hanne Sagalowsky / firstname.lastname@example.org / 214-402-8200 / International Property Specialist