Hannah Pittman – Guest Contributor
Sep 12 2022
Pin on Pinterest

You may have heard this phrase as you work hard to dial-in your nutrition while wanting to lower your BMI, increase your muscle mass, or simply getting toned. What you put in your body is 80% of what makes up your success rate in achieving your health goals. The other 20% is the physical activity that goes along with it.

Taking your nutrition into account while focusing on physical activity not only will increase your long-term health and longevity, but also plays a major role in preventing diseases such as type 2 diabetes, certain cancers and cardiovascular diseases.

So what makes up a high-quality diet?

A high quality diet is one that is well balanced; however, throw the Food Pyramid out the window. The Food Pyramid was discarded in 2011 when the USDA created MyPlate. A campaign to make every bite you take count towards your health.

Now a healthy diet includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seafood, nuts, legumes, olive oil (all oils are not created equally), and small amounts of meat, eggs and dairy. Additionally, removing processed foods full of chemicals and other items with ingredients you may not be able to pronounce will aid this process. Stick to foods that you can pronounce and focus on maintaining balance. 

When it comes to beverages, stay away from surgery and even diet drinks as both trigger a glucose spike. If the chemicals won’t kill you, the sugar will. Make sure you are drinking a minimum 64 ounces of water a day. This aids in processing out the fat you are losing and any other items that can cause bloating and inflammation. With drinking large amounts of water, it is also important to replenish your body’s electrolytes, but please read the ingredients list to choose a low sugar and sodium option. They do exist.

A good start is learning more about the Mediterranean diet; however, this may not be for everyone. Always remember to consult your doctor and a nutritionist during this process to optimize your body to turn into a fat burning, muscle building machine.

If you are looking for a more personal workout and nutrition plan, please reach out to Body Renovation Fitness Center. Our experts specialize in personal training and nutrition plans to meet your every goal! Feel free to schedule a free evaluation at our website or give us a call at 214-368-3539.