The Concilio, a nonprofit that unlocks opportunities for Latino families in North Texas, and the National Alliance for Hispanic Health (NAHH) present the 15th annual ¡Vive tu vida! Get Up! Get Moving!® This year’s event emphasizes health and wellness through family-friendly physical activities and healthy lifestyles, as well as COVID-19 vaccine registration. With the threat of COVID-19, basic healthy habits that prevent diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity are more important than ever. The Concilio seeks to bring education and engagement in positive healthy behaviors to Latino families year-round through this event, as well as its Healthy Kids, Heathy Families program. This year’s event will be held virtually on Facebook to protect everyone’s health and provide family-friendly activities when many Dallas-area children will be off from school for spring break.
Over the years, more than 30,000 people have benefited from this event. A special thanks to NAHH and Baylor Scott & White Health for sponsorship.
To learn more or support the event:
WHERE: Virtually online on The Concilio’s Facebook page (@theconcilio). Or follow the hashtags #ConcilioMoves or #ConcilioSeMueve.
WHEN: Monday, March 15-Monday, March 22, 2021
DETAILS AND SCHEDULE:
- #ConcilioMoves Fitness Challenge: Select your favorite fitness activity, and record yourself or your family doing it together. Post your :30 video on Facebook and Instagram by Friday, March 19 at midnight using the hashtag #ConcilioMoves or #ConcilioSeMueve for a chance to receive a cash prize.*
(1) Play soccer together, juggle a ball or throw a ball together.
(2) Walk, jog or run together.
(3) Do exercises: push-ups, jumping jacks, squats, sit-ups.
(4) Dance! Record yourself following Zumba instructor Martha Palacios’ moves in her demonstration video, which will be posted on Monday, March 15, on The Concilio website, Facebook (@The Concilio) and Instagram (@The Concilio).
(5) Participate in one of the events: Virtual Zumba on March 18 or Virtual Quinceañera on March 19, and record yourself.
*The three videos with the most likes and shares will receive cash prizes ($500, $250 and $100). Another video that captures The Concilio spirit will also receive a $250 prize.
- Register for the COVID-19 vaccine through Dallas County: http://bit.ly/3bxvLfW
- Health tips and conversation on The Concilio’s social media outlets: Facebook (@The Concilio) and Instagram (@The Concilio).
Mon., March 15, 5 p.m.
Facebook Live: Bring Down Diabetes with Baylor Scott & White Health
A kick-off conversation featuring Dallas City Councilmember Chad West (District 1); Baylor’s Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President, Dr. Alejandro C. Arroliga; and The Concilio President & CEO, Florencia Velasco Fortner
Tues, March 16, 9 a.m. (English)/9:30 a.m. (Spanish)
Facebook Live: Virtual Yoga and Meditation with Ana Jones
Thurs., March 18, 6 p.m.
Facebook Live: Virtual Zumba with Martha Palacios
Fri., March 19, 12 p.m.
Facebook Live: Virtual Quinceañera with DJ KIKS celebrating the event’s 15th anniversary
Sat., March 20, 2 p.m.
Facebook Live: All Of Us: COVID-19 Vaccine Talk.
Mon., March 22, 5 p.m.
Facebook Live: Event Wrap Up: The Concilio President & CEO Florencia Velasco Fortner wraps up the event with announcements of the winners of the #ConcilioMoves Fitness Challenge.
WHY: A nonprofit, The Concilio is dedicated to championing and engaging Latino families across North Texas. By unlocking opportunities for these and other underserved families, The Concilio builds stronger communities. Since its inception four decades ago, The Concilio, has served as advisors to families as they pursue their dreams. For more information, visit www.theconcilio.org.