BBQ, Burgers & Brews Sizzle in New Experience
at Taste of Dallas
Celebrity chef Kent Rathbun makes triumphant return to summertime’s biggest food festival
DALLAS, TX – Perhaps you have heard the sizzle or smelled the BBQ flavor already. New this year at Taste of Dallas is BBQ, Burgers & Brews, a special gathering of the best flame-grilled meat and craft beer pairings in North Texas. Presented by Napoleon Gourmet Grills and cultivated by Smoke’s own Tim Byres, this is a special gathering of high-profile chefs, BBQ pit masters, 20 restaurants and more than 20 craft breweries sure to make you proud to call yourself a Texan.
BBQ, Burgers & Brews welcomes a special guest, as celebrity chef Kent Rathbun – makes his triumphant return to Taste of Dallas. On Sunday, June 11, at noon, Chef Rathbun will conduct a special live cooking experience, where he will showcase his own trick to doing a perfect smoked salmon dish on the grill, and also walk attendees through how to make a summer salad to complement it. Tickets to Chef Rathbun’s chef experience can be found online at http://tasteofdallas.org/bbq.html.
On both Saturday and Sunday, attendees will find chefs and pit masters sharing their secrets on the chef experience stage inside BBQ, Burgers & Brews, including:
- Tim Byres (The James Beard Award-winning chef of Smoke, Chicken Scratch and The Theodore) is hosting an extremely fun and interactive Master Grilling Class, where each lucky group of two people will be paired with a tailgate grill provided by Napoleon Grills and will prepare, season, grill, and then enjoy a very special dish created by Tim Byres for this event.
- Matt Pittman (Meat Church) is famous for his amazing rubs, seasonings, and tailgating parties. Pittman will show how to prepare items like jalapeno poppers, shrimp brochette, and others that will make you the envy of your friends and neighbors.
- Tiffany Derry (Roots Southern Table) will use both her Southern and Cajun influences to create a smoked redfish dish with shaved squash and crawfish salad.
- Dustin Blackwell (Hutchins BBQ) will help prepare you for the ultimate barbecue challenge, brisket -- choosing the right brisket, trimming, seasoning, wood selection, smoke time, temperature control and more.
- John Tesar (Knife) will demonstrate his modern alternative take on roasting a whole pig.
- Travis Heim (Heim Barbecue) Heim Barbecue is known for its famous bacon burnt ends. Heim will teach attendees how to make this amazing menu item at home.
- Danyele McPherson (HG Sply Co.) You’ve heard the buzz around Paleo, Whole30 and gluten free eating. Chef Danyele McPherson will teach you how to take simple, clean, ingredients and prepare them with intent as she demonstrates grilled shrimp with cauliflower “grits,” roasted tomatoes, bacon and jalapenos.
- Todd David (CattleAck BBQ) BBQ Pit master Todd David will demonstrate how to change up your brisket game by making the perfect Texas-style pastrami.
- Jesse Griffiths (Dai Due Butcher Shop & Supper Club in Austin, TX) goes “all-in” when it comes to making use of the whole animal. His field-to-table approach to turning Texas wild game into good food will take center stage as he demonstrates how to butcher, prepare and cook a whole feral hog.
- Nick Pencis (Stanley’s Famous Pit Barbecue in Tyler, TX) Owner and pit master Nick Pencis is making a special visit to instruct on how to smoke the perfect beef ribs at home. From how to prep, season, load, and smoke amazing prime beef ribs.
- Oliver Sitrin (Blind Butcher) will show his tips and tricks to fermentation as he demonstrates his housemade sauerkraut & sour pickles.
Attendees at BBQ, Burgers & Brews at Taste of Dallas will enjoy pairings from craft breweries along with all the fantastic food. Restaurants in BBQ, Burgers & Brews selling their signature food include: Hutchins BBQ, Luck, Ten 50 BBQ, One90 Smoked Meats, 18th & Vine, Bone Daddy’s, Liberty Burger, Jakes, Grub Burger Bar, Oddfellows and more. Tickets to chef experiences and a full schedule and list of participating chefs, pit masters, restaurants and breweries can be found online at www.tasteofdallas.org.
Taste of Dallas: Saturday and Sunday in Fair Park is Fun for the Whole Family
BBQ, Burgers & Brews is just one component of a weekend of fun for the whole family in Fair Park June 10-11.
If you love the way well-paired wine and food tend to bring out the best in each other, don’t miss the new Wine Tasting Experience at Taste of Dallas. A dozen different wineries, from Becker Vineyards to Gnarly Head to Corbel, Messina Hof and many more will offer reds, whites and sparkling wines that range from fruity to dry and everything in-between. Find your new favorite here, where you also have the opportunity to purchase a full glass if you desire. Admission to the Wine Tasting Experience includes admission to Taste of Dallas, plus access to the exclusive wine tasting area inside the Automobile Building from 2 to 5 p.m., Saturday or Sunday, where you can enjoy 10 samples of various wines and small plate pairings that complement each vino. Tickets are limited for this experience, and are 21+ with a valid ID only. Tickets are available at www.tasteofdallas.org/attractions.html.
An expanded, over-the-top, indoor Family Fun Zone presented by Direct Energy will leave young ones breathless with excitement over all the activities, entertainment, inflatables and more – can you say “minions”? In 50,000 sq. ft. of air conditioned space, families will find large inflatables and slides, kid-friendly cooking demos, interactive kids fit activities, an entertainment stage, a toddler area, a Chalk Art Area presented by VersaChalk and even a Springfree Trampoline Fun Spot! And yes, meet two of Gru’s loveable Minions and pose for a memorable photo. Outside, the Family Fun Zone will have backyard activities including corn hole and bubble machines.
Restaurants and Food Trucks from across the region offer up tastes of their best dishes for only $2-$5 on Restaurant Island, where over 40 booths will offer food around Fair Park’s beautiful Esplanade. Don’t miss tasty shopping in the Taste Marketplace, where attendees can sample their way through dozens of local culinary vendors, local artisans, and more. For the tens of thousands of people set to visit Taste of Dallas this year, there is tasting, shopping and playing for everyone with more than 200 sponsors and exhibitors taking part in this family-friendly event.
Because summer is the hungriest season, Taste of Dallas is honored to partner with the North Texas Food Bank to help make a difference for people struggling with hunger in North Texas. Attendees can help by bringing two cans of tuna or chicken for $5 back off admission – and the great feeling of knowing you are doing something about the issue of hunger.
Foodie Experience: Best Bites of Big D is the Ultimate Tasting
Kicking off Taste of Dallas is a one-night-only tasting experience, Foodie Experience: Best Bites of Big D, at an all-new location with all-inclusive foodie fun. The Taste of Dallas Foodie Experience will take place Friday evening only, June 9, at Gilley’s Dallas, from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Attendees will enjoy tastings from more than 40 top restaurants, including Fearing’s, Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, Uchi, Amberjax Fish Market Grille, Tillman’s Road House, Chino Chinatown, Paul Martin’s American Grill, Parigi, LUCK at Trinity Groves, Top Knot, Kate Weiser Chocolate, Knife, Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck and more. Top chefs will spill their secrets at dedicated chef demonstration areas, and attendees will enjoy pairings of food, wine, craft beers, liquor sampling and more -- all included in the ticket price of $55. 21+ only.
Just the Facts:
WHAT: 31st Annual Taste of Dallas benefiting the North Texas Food Bank
WHERE: Dallas’ Fair Park (3809 Grand Avenue, Dallas, TX 75210)
PARKING: Available at Fair Park, or attendees can ride the DART to Fair Park Station
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, June 10-11, 2017
HOURS: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday
TICKETS: $15 at the gate. Kids 10 and under get in FREE (with accompanying guardian), courtesy of Direct Energy. Discount general admission tickets go on sale in May 16th at area Walgreens, Albertsons and Tom Thumb stores. Attendees can get $5 back off admission by bringing two cans of tuna or chicken to the North Texas Food Bank collection points at the Taste of Dallas ticket booths. Special discounted online only ticket packages that include general admission plus beer sampling, wine sampling BBQ, Burgers & Brews chef experiences can be purchased at http://tasteofdallas.org/tickets.html
MORE INFO: www.tasteofdallas.org, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/tasteofdallas.org
SOCIAL: Facebook: facebook.com/tasteofdallas.org/
Twitter and Instagram: @TasteofDallas
WHAT: Taste of Dallas Foodie Experience: Best Bites of Big D
WHERE: Gilley’s Dallas (1135 S. Lamar St., Dallas, TX 75215)
WHEN: Friday, June 9, 7:30-10:30 p.m. (please note: one night only!)
WHO: 21+ only
TICKETS: $55 online at http://www.tasteofdallas.org/foodieexperience.html