The lunchbox innovators share tips and tricks to make snacking both fun and nutritious
The masterminds at ¡Yo Quiero! are determined to take parents on a top-secret mission to sneak veggies and nutrients into their kids’ lunchboxes and after-school snacks. Not limited to their lunchbox-sized grab-and-go guacamole, avocado salsa, or mashed avocado mini-cups, ¡Yo Quiero! is the leader in easy school-safe snacks, make-ahead lunches and after-school snacks that kids (and parents) are sure to love.
In advance of the back-to-school mayhem, they have shared stealthy better-for-you recipes disguised as classic ¡Yo Quiero! lunchtime treats as well as tips for making eating a balanced meal fun and more! The six new back-to-school themed recipes include Hidden Veggie Cookie Cutter Quesadillas, Rainbow Toast, Savory Egg Waffles, Barnyard Animals in Mud, Strawberry Fruit Pops, and Veggie Tots.
This Rainbow Toast is a fun and easy way to introduce some healthy veggies into any routine. Featuring a base of our delicious ¡Yo Quiero! Guacamole, these edible works of art are perfectly topped with cherry tomatoes, broccoli, bell pepper, black beans, and carrots for a well-balanced meal!
• 4 slices whole wheat bread
• ¡Yo Quiero! Guacamole
• ¼ cup shredded carrots
• 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
• ¼ cup reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
• ¼ cup finely chopped broccoli
• ¼ cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• Salt & pepper
1. Toast bread; spread ¡Yo Quiero! Guacamole on toast.
2. Arrange carrots, tomatoes, beans, broccoli, and bell pepper in rows over toast, drizzle with oil and salt & pepper to taste
Hidden Veggie Cookie Cutter Quesadillas:
Quesadillas are a kid favorite and an easy and delicious way to satisfy even the pickiest eater. They are also the perfect vessel to sneak a serving of veggies or two into your kid's lunch or dinner. These Hidden Veggie Cookie Cutter Quesadillas take everything kids love about the delicious staple and add a creative twist with fun shapes that allow you to sneak in veggies with minimal suspicion.
• 2 Large Plain Flour Tortillas
• Kid-friendly cookie cutters: Fun shapes, alphabet, animals (not Christmas like the picture)
• 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
• 1-2 Bell Peppers
• ½ cup Baby Spinach
• ¡Yo Quiero! Bean Dip
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. Using your cookie cutter cut the same shapes out of both tortillas so you will have matching pairs.
3. Place cut tortillas on lined sheet; spread ¡Yo Quiero! Bean Dip on each, sprinkle each with some cheese and spinach. Lay matching cut tortillas on top. Bake until cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes.
Savory Egg Waffles:
Sneaking veggies into your kids’ diet couldn’t be easier with these Savory Egg Waffles. These fluffy waffles offer a savory twist to a familiar breakfast staple and with our ¡Yo Quiero! Salsa as the perfect zesty accompaniment. We’re sure they’ll be a new on-the-go favorite.
• 4 eggs
• 1 tablespoon bacon bits
• 1 tablespoon red pepper minced
• ¼ cup baby spinach
• ¼ cup finely chopped broccoli
• ¼ cup shredded cheese
• salt & pepper
• ¡Yo Quiero! Salsa
1. Preheat the waffle iron to 350°F.
2. Whisk eggs in a bowl and mix in veggies and seasonings.
3. Add a ladle full to each waffle mold and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Carefully remove from the mold and serve with ¡Yo Quiero! Salsa
Barnyard Animals in Mud:
This Barnyard Animals in Mud recipe uses the power of imagination to sneak a serving of nutritious beans into any diet. Unleash your little one’s full creative power and transform a boring tortilla into any animal or shape you can dream of, then watch them play in the mud! For an even more nutritious mud pit, try surrounding it with all kinds of veggies for an exciting edible landscape.
• 1 (12 ounce) package of corn tortillas
• 3 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¡Yo Quiero! Bean Dip
• Animal Cookie Cutters
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Cut animals out of tortillas using selected cookie cutters
3. Combine lime juice and oil in a spray bottle or mister; shake until well mixed. Spray the tops of the tortilla wedges until slightly moist. You can also brush the tortillas if you do not have a mister or spray bottle.
4. Combine cumin, chili powder, and salt in a small bowl; sprinkle mixture over the chips.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven. Flip chips, then mist/brush and season again.
7. Bake, checking often to ensure they don't burn, until chips are lightly browned and crisp, 5 to 8 more minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving. Chips will crisp up more as they cool.
9. Serve animal tortilla chips with ¡Yo Quiero! Bean dip and let the animals play in the mud!
Strawberry Avocado Fruit Pops:
Beat the heat and indulge in the refreshing and nutritious goodness of these Strawberry Avocado Fruit Pops. Featuring our delightful ¡Yo Quiero! Mashed Avocado these little treats are the perfect way to sneak the super food powers of avocado into your next dessert or snack!
• 2 cups frozen strawberries
• 1 cup strawberry yogurt
• 1/4 cup honey
• ½ of an 8oz container of ¡Yo Quiero! Mashed Avocado
• 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
1. Combine the frozen strawberries, yogurt, honey and avocado in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Spoon about a tablespoon of the chopped fresh strawberries into each of small paper cups or molds. Fold the remaining chopped strawberries into the yogurt mixture. Spoon the yogurt mixture on top of the strawberries in each paper cup. Carefully insert an ice-pop stick into each pop.
3. Freeze until solid, about an hour.
Sneaking veggies has never been so easy with these Veggie Tots. With every dip and crunch, you'll find it difficult to save some for your kiddos after getting your hands on one tot. The ¡Yo Quiero! Queso is the ideal partner for these veggie tots, adding a burst of cheesy goodness that complements the sneaky vegetables in the most delightful way.
• 2 - 2 ¼ cups broccoli, florets 1 bunch, include pieces of stem after florets are used if needed
• 2 large eggs
• ¾ cup green onions, diced
• ¾-1 cup cheese, shredded
• ?-3/4 cup bread crumbs, panko, or almond flour (keto)
• ¡Yo Quiero! Queso
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
4. Place broccoli pieces in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Drain broccoli in a strainer and run cold water over top.
6. Completely dry using paper towel or a dish towel.
7. Finely chop enough broccoli to measure 2 to 2 ¼ cups. Then place broccoli in a medium mixing bowl.
8. Add eggs, green onion, salt, pepper, and cheese to your mixing bowl with broccoli.
9. Add ? of a cup of bread crumbs or panko and mix, using your hands, until incorporated. Depending on the amount of moisture in your broccoli, you may have to add up to another ¼ cup of crumbs. Add crumbs until you are able to make small, 2-inch long, 1-inch-wide tots that hold together.
10. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes. Making sure to flip your tots halfway through.
11. Once browned, remove from oven and let cool.
12. Place on a serving tray with a bowl of ¡Yo Quiero! Queso for dipping!
¡Yo Quiero! is known for its stable of premium high-quality dips including its signature guacamoles and salsas, avocado-forward cream cheese dips, and the newest in their line of ‘better for you’ snacking options: ¡Yo Quiero!’s NEW Original Bean Dip and ¡Yo Quiero!’s NEW Spicy Bean Dip.
For the past few years, ¡Yo Quiero! has become a much more familiar sight on grocery store shelves as the demand for fresh, convenient, healthier-for-you choices in the fridge and pantry steadily increases.
To learn more about ¡Yo Quiero! visit www.yoquierobrands.com and www.freshinnovationsllc.com.
About ¡Yo Quiero!
¡Yo Quiero! Brands is a Texas-based avocado, guacamole, and dip company with state-of-the-art facilities in Rhome, Texas and Guanajuato, Mexico. With a mission of selecting and growing the freshest and finest ingredients, ¡Yo Quiero! creates delicious, hand-crafted products that can be found in most local retailers. Bringing years of experience and dip expertise to the category, ¡Yo Quiero! leads and innovates with integrity and passion. The current lineup of premium handcrafted dips can be viewed on our website. For additional information, recipes, or product availability, please visit www.yoquierobrands.com