Muenster Pet Foods, a family-owned business that prides itself on high-quality pet foods with natural ingredients, has teamed up with Operation Kindness – North Texas’ original and largest no-kill animal shelter – to celebrate National Dog Biscuit Day on Feb. 23. For each dog adoption at Operation Kindness Thursday, Feb. 23, through Sunday, Feb. 26, or while supplies last, Muenster will donate a bag of all-natural freeze-dried dog treats.
“We’re a fourth-generation Texas family business, we live and work here, so it’s a no-brainer that we would also give here,” said Mitch Felderhoff, owner at Muenster Pet Foods. “We hope by offering treats with each adoption made at Operation Kindness that potential adopters will be encouraged to celebrate National Dog Biscuit Day with a new furry friend.”
Dogs are guaranteed to have a tail-wagging good time by celebrating the day with all natural, meat-based treats. As natural carnivores, they prefer meat-based treats versus treats filled with sugars and carbohydrates. With only eight hormones to raise blood sugar, and only one to reduce it, the more carbohydrates fed to a dog, the higher the insulin demand. Insulin then converts the sugars from the carbohydrates to fat. By replacing dog treats with a meat treat, you’ll help your dog keep a nice lean figure.
For dog lovers who are not looking to adopt but want to celebrate the special day with their furry friend, they can treat themselves by creating their own healthy dog treats at home with Muenster’s recipe for homemade grain-free and gluten-free dog biscuits. Or for those who want to keep out of the kitchen, they can order a bag of treats online at https://muenstermilling.com/product-category/dog-food/.
Muenster Pet Foods homemade grain-free and gluten-free dog biscuits
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 4 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup and 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
* Sometimes when working with gluten-free flours, the consistency of the dough takes a little work. If it’s too wet, slowly add a little coconut/cassava flour. If it’s too dry, slowly add water a teaspoon at a time. You can also substitute the flax seed and water with 4 eggs instead.
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients and form dough into a ball
- Roll the ball of dough between two sheets of parchment paper until it’s about 1/4 inch thick
- Use desired cookie cutters to cut the biscuits into an ideal shape
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are hard
- Let cool completely before serving
* If you want to add a little extra flavor, try using bone broth in place of the water.
“Thanks to the generous support of Muenster Pet Foods, we are able to provider adopters a unique incentive to help find forever homes for the more than 50 dogs currently available for adoption,” says Jim Hanophy, CEO of Operation Kindness.
To learn more about how to treat yourself and your furry friend on National Dog Biscuit Day, or for information about pets currently seeking forever homes, please visit www.OperationKindness.org.